During the winter months it’s hard to get out of bed let alone feel motivated to kick some goals’ butts! The rain on the roof and the cocoon of blankets are just all too inviting.
This is why Bridget, our founder and goals coach, talked to Newstalk ZB recently about not relying on motivation during winter. She instead suggests we rely on habits instead. It’s the routine of habits that will keep us going even when the motivation isn’t there.
Below are some simple ways you can start to implement more habits into your life – ones that serve you and keep you going towards your goals even when you don’t want to get out of bed.
Wake up and get up.
Getting started in the morning is key to setting yourself up for a productive day. However our brains are so good at finding excuses not to get up and stay snuggled up in the warmth, even when it’s to our detriment. The best way to beat your brain at this game is to get up before it even starts.
To help with this try these two tips that Bridget gives a lot of her goal digging clients who struggle with morning sabotage brain:
- Have clothes handy. By preparing and laying out your clothes the night before you have one less thing to do in the morning. You can just get up and get going.
- Have your alarm away from bed. Whether you use a phone or an alarm clock move them so they’re not within arms reach. Then you have no choice but to get up when it goes off!
Accountability is one of the most important elements of staying on track. Here’s a few ways you can use this as a tool to keep working towards your goals this winter.
- Find a buddy and check in with one another. You don’t even have to be working towards the same goal, you just have to be open with one another about what your goals are and the steps you want to take each week to achieve them.
- Reflect on what you have achieved – things like habit trackers or daily checklists of habits and goals are super helpful so you can see where you’re at. They also provide the bonus motivation of wanting to tick things off the list.
- Start with realistic, simple steps so you can gain momentum straight away and feel excited to keep working towards your goals.
- Work with a goals coach. It’s amazing how accountable and empowered you feel when you work with someone specifically to make your goals happen.
Listen to the full segment below and let us know any questions or ideas you have about staying on track over winter.